“Indoor radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States and breathing it over prolonged periods can present a significant health risk to families all over the country. It’s important to know that this threat is completely preventable. Radon can be detected with a simple test and fixed through well-established venting techniques.”
Environmental Works cares about your indoor air quality and long-term health, which is why we offer complete radon testing and radon mitigation services. Environmental Works specializes in radon testing and mitigation for residential, multi-family, commercial and municipal properties. We've performed thousands of radon tests and mitigated thousands of high exposure buildings throughout Oregon and Southwest Washington. We are an American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists- National Radon Proficiency Program (AARST-NRPP) certified radon measurement and mitigation contractor. You can rely on our extensive experience in commercial and residential construction and environmental services to complete your project from testing to system design and installation, at a competitive price.
That’s Radon Done Right!
Our radon services include:
- Residential and real estate radon testing and radon mitigation
- Continuous Radon Monitor (CRM) 48hr testing for immediate results
- Short-term and long-term radon testing options
- Free consultation and project bidding
- Complete design build services for residential, commercial, and multifamily projects
- Multi-family and large building radon testing surveys and reporting
- Multi-family, commercial, new construction radon system installation
- Sub-soil and sub-membrane depressurization
- Industry leading Lifetime guarantee to reduce levels to below 2.7 pCi/L (WHO action level)
- Lifetime performance guarantee on residential systems, and 10 year on commercial
- Passive systems guaranteed to reduce radon or we install fans for free!
- Commercial Soil Vapor Extraction (SVE) systems for contaminated soils
- Free continuing education classes for realtors and community members
Radon Testing services
Note that the short-term radon test must be completed under “Closed House Conditions”(see below for more info), so we ask that our clients observe the following conditions 12 hrs prior to and for the duration of the radon test.
(Even zones of low recorded radon values may measure high)
Closed House Conditions
- Keep all windows and doors closed (except regular entry and exit) 12 hours prior to and for the duration of the test.
- Maintain normal occupancy temperature and operation of HVAC system 24 hours prior to and for the duration of this test. This may include heat recovery ventilation (HRV) system at normal operation.
- Do not turn on any other fans inside home including whole house fans, window fans, etc.…
- Do not turn off an existing radon mitigation system.
- Do not touch radon monitor. Monitor detects movement which may negate test results.
- We also offer passive short-term charcoal radon testing as well as long-term (91 days to year) Alpha Track radon testing upon request. All of our radon test results include a written report and recommendations for radon mitigation when needed.
Radon mitigation systems for existing homes and buildingsEnvironmental Works provides a free radon mitigation system consultation and quote if elevated radon levels have been found. All of our active residential radon systems are guaranteed for a Lifetime to remain below the World Health Organization (WHO) action level of 2.7 pCi/L, and we always design our systems to be as aesthetically pleasing and as quiet as possible.
Using advanced sub-slab pressure testing equipment, we can design and install an effective radon mitigation system while using the quietest and most energy efficient radon fan possible. Our radon fans are made in the USA of high quality materials and are designed specifically for radon reduction and exterior “wet” applications. These continuous radon fans carry a 5 year manufacturer warranty, but typically last 7-10 years with no maintenance. Many of our radon abatement systems can be hidden within the interior of the house and exit the roof like a standard plumbing vent. Exterior systems are installed in an ideal location and may be painted to match existing exterior color. Our systems receive a short-term post mitigation test to insure that they are performing correctly.
Our radon reduction systems are typically “active” systems using a continuous radon fan and vent piping to create a negative pressure under a concrete slab (sub-slab depressurization) under a soil-gas membrane (vapor barrier) in a crawl space (sub-membrane depressurization) or a combination of these systems. Some radon mitigation systems may also be incorporated into a new or existing sump pump when subsurface groundwater is also an issue.
“Passive” radon reduction systems may be sufficient in new construction projects with the option to make them active if radon levels test above the EPA action level of 4.0 pCi/L. Every radon reduction system is designed specifically for your home or building using high quality materials and workmanship.
Radon mitigation systems for new constructionAs of April 2011 the State of Oregon adopted senate bill 1025 establishing minimum requirements for radon resistant new construction. The state of Washington adopted similar radon system requirements years prior.
New residential and multi-family structures must now have a minimum passive radon mitigation system according to EPA and AARST radon mitigation standards. These design standards are also identified in Appendix F of the Oregon Residential Specialty Code. The standards were adopted and implemented due to the risks associated with radon gas exposure in buildings and the simplicity and effectiveness of these systems when designed into the rough structure of the building. New construction systems often outperform retrofit systems for a lower installed cost.
Environmental Works has partnered with residential and commercial building and remolding companies to provide fast, high quality and affordable new construction radon mitigation systems, backed by a fully transferable 10 year guarantee that it will passively work. If it needs a fan to bring levels down, then we will install it for FREE!
Our expertly designed passive radon systems are fully code compliant and often solve the radon issue completely without any further mitigation procedures being necessary. The passive system can easily be made active if post–build testing is above 4.0 pCi/L by simply adding a continuous radon fan.
Don’t trust just anyone to install your radon mitigation system. You can rely on Environmental Works to provide you and your customers with the highest quality radon mitigation system, fast and professional service, and long term peace of mind.
Facts About Radon
- Radon is an odorless, tasteless and invisible gas produced by the decay of naturally occurring uranium in soil and water
- Radon is a form of ionizing radiation and a proven carcinogen
- How radon enters the home:
- Stack effect: the building acts like a vacuum
- Cracks in floors and walls
- Construction joints
- Gaps around pipes
- Cavities inside walls
- The water supply or well water
- It’s estimated that at least 1 in 7 properties in the Portland/Vancouver metro area have elevated radon levels
- As many as 50% of the homes in “Hot Spots” including Alameda Ridge in Portland and Mill Plain in Clark County, Washington have radon levels above 4.0 pCi/L
- Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the US (it’s the leading cause in non-smokers)
- Radon kills over 20,000 Americans every year, which is more than drunk drivers and home fires combined
- The surgeon general and the EPA recommend that all properties be tested for radon
- You want radon tests on homes to be recent, within the past 2 years
- If people have renovated or altered their home since they last tested, they should re-test
- Winter is the best time to test for radon because the home is all sealed up
- When buying a home buyer or buyer’s agent should ask about a radon test
- Having a radon test already done with favorable results can speed up the sale process
HIRE THE TOP RATED RADON TESTING, AND RADON AND SOIL VAPOR MITIGATION COMPANY IN OREGON AND SW WASHINGTON